Weston Village

Weston is a village situated between the market towns of Stafford and Uttoxeter, just north of the historic City of Lichfield.

Weston Village

Gayton is approximately one mile to the east of Weston. Weston has grown tremendously in the last 30 years – formerly a small farming community, it now houses some 1,500 people (including Gayton), many of whom work in the local towns.

The ancient village and parish of Weston was a forest clearing on the outskirts and was part of the Chartley Estate which was sold off in 1904. The high ground meant that the surrounding land was well drained with a good water supply from the nearby River Trent. This small settlement was also located at the intersection of the London – Lichfield – Chester road and the Shrewsbury – Stafford – Derby road (the current A51 and A518 respectively). The road from Stafford originally forded the Trent. In the late 18th Century a flood washed away the bridge there. It was later replaced by a single arch stone bridge in the 19th century.

Weston on Trent is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. In the survey the village is recorded as being as the holding of one of King William’s thegn’s named Sperri, having previously being held by a Saxon named Wulfhelm. Assets of the village were listed as half a virgāta of land. Land for one plough, one villager or villein, 3 acres of meadows. There was one Household in the village and the amont of tax per household was calculated at one-eighth of one ‘hide’. The gross taxable value of the village was calculated at 0.1 geld units, with a Value to lord of the manor in 1086 of £0.1.

For more information visit their website.

Visit Website
https://westonstaffs.org.uk
Location Address
Weston
Stafford
ST18 0HX
Facilities
Pet Friendly
Guide Dogs
Family Friendly
Visit similiar activities and make it a full day out...

Do you have an activity in the borough?*

*To qualify for listing on this website your business or activity must be located within Stafford Borough.