Stafford Rugby Union Football Club

Club History: 1876 Club founded, first match was on 24th February 1876, Stafford v Newport, with Stafford winning by "one goal and two tries to one goal.

Stafford Rugby Union Football Club


The club played at several locations around Stafford, firstly near the old Royal Brine Baths (Greengate Street), using several pubs in the local area to change in.

1912 - By now the club played at a ground where what was Dorman's Works stands, on the Tixall Rd.

During the First World War all of the team joined the Army, of which only two players returned. A photo of this team is on display in the club house.

After the war the Club played at a ground on Rickerscote Rd, changing in the Bath Inn, near Tenterbanks, players had to walk or cycle to the ground.

1926 - Now the ground had moved to Silkmore Lane, with the players getting changed in town, this time at the Vine Hotel on Salter Street. Again, players had to walk or cycle to the ground, until the Gray Bus Co. was founded.

1949 - Club moved to a new ground at Castlefields Newport Road under a 99 year lease from Lord Stafford. Having its own ground had a huge effect on improving standards, with many players representing firstly North Midlands, then, when it was recognised as a full county in its own right, Staffordshire.

Mike Coulman, a pupil of Rising Brook Secondary School, played 1st XV prop at the age of 16, before moving to Moseley and represented both England and the British Lions, before switch codes and playing for Salford and Great Britain.

1963 Stafford played Old Rugby Roma. They had been touring UK, playing Harlequins at Twickenham, losing 16 - 14, Swansea, losing 12 - 0, and Newport (Gwent) drawing 8 - 8, and in front of a 3000 crowd losing to Stafford 6 - 3.

1964- Staffordshire became a Senior County and with several players from Stafford in the team, won the County Championship in 1970 beating Gloucestershire 11 - 9.

1965 - During the late 1960's and early 1970's England International Andy Hancock was the Stafford captain.
1976 - Centenary Year - During this year Stafford played The Arthur Rees Select XV, which comprised almost entirely of full internationals players, four English, five Welsh and two South Africans, the remainder being full County players. Stafford lost 12 - 18.

1977- During 1977 - 78, Northampton, England and British Lions 2nd Row, Peter Larter played for Stafford, his first game being for the 4th XV, he was so modest that when he turned up at the Club looking for a game, he did not say who he was. On several Friday evenings, the Club would receive a phone call from Northampton, asking if we could release him to play for them the next day.

1989- Stafford won the Staffordshire Senior Cup, beating hot favourites Lichfield, 6 - 3, Stafford's points coming from the boot of Mike Green.

2019 - Stafford moved again after many years of planning and discussion with our Club Patron Lord Stafford to a new ground and clubhouse at Blackberry Lane Doxey

01785 211241
[email protected]
Visit Website
Open all year
Location Address
Blackberry Lane
ST16 2TT
01785 211241
Family Friendly
Group Friendly
Baby Changing
Car Park
Cashless Available
Venue Hire
Visit similiar activities and make it a full day out...

Do you have an activity in the borough?*

*To qualify for listing on this website your business or activity must be located within Stafford Borough.