The ford across a small stream is the origin of the village's toponym. The village has a red brick Church of England parish church, St Chad's, and a 16th-century Tudor mansion.
Seighford is a scattered village above a small brook which flows east from Latford pool to the River Sow. Its parish contains the hamlets of Aston, Doxey, and Derrington, from one to one and a half miles east, Coton Clanford, one mile south, and Great and Little Bridgeford, three and a half miles north-east of Stafford. It forms a highly cultivated district, containing 803 inhabitants, and 3,830 acre of land. Francis Eld, Esq, is lord of the manor, and owner of most of the soil. He resides at Seighford Hall, an ancient house with modern wings, on the west side of the village…the Parish Church, St Chad, was partly rebuilt of brick about 100 years ago, and contains many neat mural monuments. It has a brick tower, five bells and a clock ... there is a small Wesleyan Chapel at Little Bridgeford, built in 1850."
RAF Seighford was a Royal Air Force airfield that was opened in 1943 and closed in 1947. Remains of the control tower and some outbuildings survive. Part of the site is still used by small aircraft, particularly gliders, along with a small runway close to the village of Seighford.