Sandon is about 4.5 miles (7 km) northeast of Stafford. The village is in the Trent Valley on the A51 road. On 6 September 1989 the parish was renamed from "Sandon" to "Sandon & Burston".
There is a rectangular moated site in Sandon Park, about 186 yards (170 m) northeast of the parish church. The site measures about 110 yards (100 m) by 87 yards (80 m) and the moat varies from 11 yards (10 m) to 16 yards (15 m) wide. It was the site of the parish's manor house, which was the home of the Erdeswick family from 1338 until the middle of the 17th century. The moat site is a scheduled monument.
In 1776 Nathaniel Ryder was ennobled as Baron Harrowby. He commissioned the architect Samuel Wyatt to transform the manor house into Sandon Hall and the landscape gardener William Emes to create a 400 acres (160 ha) park. Creating the park involved demolishing Sandon village, which was close to the house and parish church, and building a new village further away from the house and church.
In 1848 a workman on the roof of Sandon Hall accidentally set the building on fire, which caused such damage that it had to be demolished. The current Sandon Hall is a Jacobethan country house of nine bays built for Dudley Ryder, 2nd Earl of Harrowby in 1852. It was designed by the Scots Baronial architect William Burn — apart from the conservatory, which was added in 1864. Sandon Hall is a Grade II* listed building.